Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Chicken Cutlets with Mushrooms and Pearl Onions

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I've had a bag of frozen pearl onions in my freezer for longer than I can remember. I can't remember why I originally bought them and I've been trying to think of a use for them for a while now, but nothing really sounded good. 

I was flipping through some of my older issues of Cooking Light magazine this weekend and I saw the recipe for chicken cutlets with mushrooms and pearl onions. We're not really big fans of mushrooms in our house, but if I figured if I left them out that this seemed like as good a recipe as any to finally use those pearl onions. 


This was pretty good. At 402 calories for a serving it also easily fits in our diet.  If you don't like onions you could easily eat around them and if you do like them they soak up the sauce and become delicious little bites by themselves. It also paired well with the the roasted green beans that I made to go with it.





Chicken Cutlets with Mushrooms and Pearl Onions

From: Cooking Light
Time: about 40 minutes
Servings: 4

Ingredients: 

- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 8 ounces quartered button mushrooms
- 2/3 cup of brandy (I used cognac) 
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

Directions:

Cut each chicken breast in half to form 8 cutlets. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place flower in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. 

Add one tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add 4 cutlets to the pan and cook two minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from the pan and keep warm.  Repeat with one more table spoon of olive oil and remaining cutlets.


Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the pearl onions and mushrooms; saute 6 minutes or until browned. Remove pan from hear and carefully add the brandy. Return pan to medium-high heat and bring mixture to a boil. Cook until liquid is almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.


Combine stock and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add stock mixture to the pan, stirring with a whisk and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to the pan and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, butter, and thyme. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Life With S and K, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena