Thursday, April 2, 2015

Chicken Thighs with Honey-Lemon Leeks

Chicken thighs are my favorite. Seriously, dark meat is totally worth the extra calories. Chicken thighs are also super easy to cook and because they are less popular than chicken breasts the law of supply and demand is finally in my favor and they are usually a cheaper option at the meat counter.

Win, win, win. For me anyway, sorry 'bout ya chicken thigh haters.

S and I loved this recipe from Cooking Light. It was in the April 2014 issue and I don't know how I missed it and just finally made it the other night. Chicken thighs, leeks, honey...its like all of my favorite things in one recipe.

I played with the recipe a little as you'll see below. Most notable difference? I wanted skin on my chicken so I made just 4 thighs, one per serving, and picked bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. (Okay, chicken thighs with the skin? SERIOUSLY MY FAVORITE.)

I do not regret my decision one bit and I highly encourage you to follow me down the path of crispy chicken skin delight.

Another tip: I sliced my leeks and then put them in a bowl of water to soak and de-sand themselves while I prepped the rest of the ingredients.

Unless you're on team chicken breast (and I guess you could make this with chicken breasts, but I don't understand why you would) add this to your menu plan soon. Its tasty, easy, and quick!



I served this with Lemony Roasted Asparagus on the side and it was a great combination.

Chicken Thighs with Honey-Lemon Leeks
From: Cooking Light
Time: about 45 minutes
Servings: 4 servings

Ingredients
4 tsp olive oil, divided
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp grated lemon rind (I left this out)
3 large leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
juice of one lemon
2 tsp honey

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Heat a large, ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tsp oil to pan and swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Massage lemon rind into chicken.

Place chicken in pan skin side down. Cook about 4 minutes or until skin is golden and crispy. Flip chicken and cook about 4 more minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.

Add remaining 2 tsp of oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add leek and remaining 1/4 tsp salt and cook about 15 minutes or until the leeks begin to brown, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. 

Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice and honey. Return chicken to the pan and mound leeks on top of chicken thighs.

Bake chicken for 15 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165 degrees.

Nutrition Facts:
Calories 339, Total Fat 15.6 g, Saturated Fat, 3.6 g, Protein 33 g, Carbohydrates 17 g, Fiber 2 g, Cholesterol 175 mg.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Life With S and K, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena