Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Thai-style Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing

Wow! It has been a while since I have posted! Since the last post S and I have sold our condo, bought a new house and moved, I have a new job, and we went on vacation to Peru for two weeks. Phew! It has been a whirlwind!

Well, in honor of being crazy busy and it still not feeling like fall here in LA I wanted to share with you one of our favorite quick, warm-weather recipes.

This is one of our favorite recipes when it gets hot. Its quick and easy to throw together and super yummy. Spicy peanut dressing is amazing. I kinda want to put it on everything. 

This salad is in our regular rotation and you should definitely try it soon. Its not like California is in any hurry to get to roasting weather. Might as well enjoy a few more light, tasty salads. Right?

Yah, no. I'm a few days away from rebelling and roasting something in my bathing suit with all the fans in the house on. I'm over summer, y'all. Can we please just have fall weather already?!?

While I pout, you should seriously make this salad...






From: Pinch of Yum
Servings: about 4
Time: about 20 minutes

Ingredients: (I changed the ingredients a little from the original)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 habanero peppers, seeded and minced
- 5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- juice of two limes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bag cole slaw mix
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts

Directions:

Okay, I'm gonna try something new. Directions with pictures. Here goes!

Step 1: gather all your stuff. Its annoying to stop stirring your dressing together to grab something you forgot.


 Step 2: grill your chicken and then shred.

I usually do this outside, but I've done it in a grill pan too. You can also skip this step and swap in rotisserie chicken if you'd like.



Step 3: prep your lettuce. The original recipe calls for a bunch of ingredients. I cheat and use bagged cole slaw mix. 

Prep = open bag and dump in a bowl. I told you this was easy. =)


Step 4: Whisk/stir together the first 9 ingredients (through water) to make your dressing. Work at the peanut butter, it is worth it to spend the time to get rid of as many chunks as you can. 

You can heat the peanut butter for a few seconds in the microwave to make it easier to stir.

A note about the peppers: these are hot. Like I wear gloves when I chop them 'cuz I wear contacts and even 5 hand washes later my fingers still burn my eyeballs hot. (I recommend wearing gloves when you chop these, btw) 

Adjust the number of peppers to your liking. I tried 4 once and that was too much, two wasn't enough, but 3 peppers is just right for S and I. The heat from the peppers adds a whole different layer of flavor that is totally worth it, but you don't want you're nose running and lips tingling while you eat. If you're not sure how much is too much start with one pepper and give the dressing a taste test. You can always add more before tossing everything together.

Another note about the peppers: try to mince/chop them into as small of pieces as possible. You'll totally understand why I say this if you get a bite with a big ole piece of pepper in it...


Step 5: toss everything together! Serve immediately.


I love this salad and I hope you will too! 

You can store leftovers before tossing together and dress before serving for the crispest salad. I've also stored leftovers already mixed together with the dressing and the cabbage in the cole slaw mix holds up fairly well. Its not quite as crisp as freshly tossed, but it doesn't turn into a soggy mess either. 

Nutrition Info:
Calories 302, Total Fat 13g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 1374mg, Potassium 404mg, Carbohydrates 30g, Fiber 4g, Sugars 20g, Protein 18g. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Life With S and K, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena