Saturday, February 28, 2015

Roasted Vegetables

Roasting is my favorite. I'm not shy about it. Roasting makes everything better. Crispy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside? It doesn't get any better. #roastallthethings

Seriously though, along with being delicious, roasting is easy. Basically, it involves:
1. Insert in oven 
2. Walk away 
3. Wait 
4. Enjoy deliciousness

Besides maybe the waiting part that is about as easy as it gets!

Cooking Light included this recipe for roasted vegetables in the March 2015 issue. I got pretty excited when I saw it. (I'm also not shy about my love for most veggies.) The article is about cooking once to make meals for a week easier. I skipped over all that and focused on the allure of yummy veggies hot out of the oven.

Their recipe makes a LOT of roasted veggies, about 12 cups. They also use butternut squash, and despite my pretty general love for veggies I am not a squash person. I adapted the recipe slightly to my (and S') taste and to make a few less servings. 

As you can see from the photo I also chose not to serve with chicken. I have nothing against chicken, but steak + roasted veggies? This was like the best Tuesday night at our house in a while. Get roasting people, there isn't much time left (not log at all for those of us here in sunny, SoCal) to use our ovens before the weather separates the truly dedicated (read: me) from those who don't enjoy sweating while cooking every meal.




Roasted Vegetables
From: Cooking Light, adapted by me
Servings: 8 servings (about 1 cup servings)
Time: about 45 minutes, all-in

Ingredients:
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 red onions, cut into 1 inch wedges
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (1/2 - 1 inch cubes)
5 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper

Directions:
Place two baking sheets in the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. (Yup, leave those pans in the oven to get nice and hot.)

Combine everything in a large mixing bowl and toss to coat evenly.

When your oven is at temperature, spread the veggies evenly onto both baking sheets. (Try not to get too excited by the sizzle they make on the hot baking sheets. That sound means this is going to be good.)

Bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through to prevent sticking. 

Nutrition Facts:
Calories 396, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 183 mg, Potassium 1394 mg, Carbohydrates 67 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 31 g, Protein 1 g.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Life With S and K, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena