Monday, March 30, 2015

Chile Relleno Bake

Meatless Monday! Okay, we're not always meatless on Monday, but we do try to eat vegitarian on a somewhat regular basis. This is one of my go-to recipes. I found it on the blog Circle B Kitchen years ago (like before I discovered Pinterest) and I have been making it fairly regularly ever since.

It's cheesy and the chiles give a tangy heat that is very satisfying. In fact, I would categorize this as comfort food. It's got the warm-from-the-oven-to-your-tummy thing going on, but without the meat and many of the calories. (Totally reheats well the next day for leftover lunches, too.)

I also like this recipe because it is easy to make. It might take a while in the oven, but I look at it as time to multitask. I can make dinner AND fold laundry, do dishes, pay bills, or catch up on some Netflix...whatever is most pressing that day.

Give it a shot for your next Meatless Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or...well, you get the point. 





Chile Relleno Bake
From: Circle B Kitchen
Time: a little over an hour
Servings: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese
1.5 cups grated jack cheese
5 eggs
1 tsp of salt
1/3 cup of flour
1 2/3 cups milk (I use 2%)
2 4oz cans chopped green chiles and their juices (I reduced from 3 cans in the original because I didn't like my bake to be as chunky.)
1/3 cup tomatillo salsa

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. I use my Pyrex glass pie pan to make this and it fits great. I also never use cooking spray. Instead, I sub olive oil in a hand-pump sprayer. Works great.

Place 1 cup of each of the cheeses in the bottom of the dish. Pour the cans of chopped chiles over the cheese in the dish.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and slowly whisk in the flour, salt, and then the milk.

Pour the egg mixture over the cheese and chiles in the dish. Sprinkle the last of both cheeses over the top and drizzle with the tomatillo salsa.

Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the center is set.

Nutrition Facts:
Calories 509, Total Fat 33 g, Saturated Fat 19 g, Cholesterol 305 mg, Sodium 1095 mg, Total Carbohydrate 16 g, Sugars 8 g, Protein 36 g.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Life With S and K, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena